The scrum cap is a headgear which is used by rugby players. It’s great for protecting ears during the scrum so you don’t have ear cartilage like wrestlers! You might know this as cauliflower ears, which is an irreversible condition happens to wrestlers or martial artists! These caps are generally used by forward players, but nowadays backs use it too. You can also use thin headbands if you want to, but most of the players prefer rugby scrum caps because of their protectiveness. I will try to inspect the best sellers in the market so you can find a suitable model for yourself. Let’s start out with the top products.
Canterbury Club Plus Headgear
- The diamond shaped padding provides the best fit for rugby players.
- It’s one of the well-known brands out there, and this product is popular!
- The lightweight design is extremely comfortable.
- The cell foam is closed, which makes it extra breathable and flexible compared to other scrum caps.
- The stretch lace-up system allows for simple control.
- The chinstrap is pretty soft compared to other headgears!
- The anti-microbial design is impressive for keeping things tidy!
- There are other color options on the Amazon.com.
- IRB approved
This is one of the most basic rugby scrum caps out there. It works flawlessly for almost any player. If you like simple products this one will work pretty well for you!
Canterbury Ventilator Headgear
- The aero-matrix design is perfect for long-term usage and comfort.
- This one provides maximum ventilation and comfort for the player.
- I suggest this one, if you live in a hot environment. It will definitely improve your ability to stay cool.
- The lace up system is almost same with the one above!
- It also has antimicrobial treatment and poly-cotton liner to manage the moisture.
- There are other color options at the sales page, but I really like the black version.
- IRB approved.
If you want a headgear which provides the utmost ventilation, you should get this one. It works flawlessly, and the material quality is almost perfect.
Barnett Heat Pro Helmet
- One of the most basic rugby helmets you can find online.
- There are five different color options at the sales page.
- The chinstrap is pretty soft, it can wear out pretty quick.
- Rear laces are good add on for proper fitting.
- The product is suitable for other sports like flag football or 7s.
- They make the product 100 percent nylon and spandex.
- The foam parts EVO foam, which is perfect for sweat evaporation.
If you are looking for an affordable option, you might want this one!
RHINO RUGBY Soft Shell Force field Pro Scrum Cap
- The design of this scrum cap is unique. It resembles a rhino horn on the sides.
- It’s a comfortable headgear for most of the players.
- The design is lightweight and breathable.
- You can hear around easily since the design allows it. I would suggest this one for back players since communication is important for them. It’s also important for forward players, but my primary choice will be the protection feature for forward players.
- The velcro chinstrap is great for adjusting the scrum cap. If you are looking for additional comfort, this feature is excellent!
- The rear drawstring allows for a better fit over the player’s head.
- The scrum cap is approved by the World Rugby!
If you are looking for a high-quality scrum cap at a reasonable price, you can try out this one. The cap is suitable for other sports like wrestling and flag football so you can try it out.
EliteTek Soft Padded Headgear
- This is an another basic protective headgear that is suitable for most of the sports.
- You can use this one for soccer, flag football or other sports events!
- The velcro system allows for a quick fit and release. You can even untuck it during matches within seconds. However, the comfort is not like other rugby products!
- The product is suitable for team logos. The side panels allow for 3×3 custom team logos.
- IRB certified.
If you are looking for a basic rugby scrum cap, you can try this one out. This is perfectly fine for beginners, but if you are looking for high-quality you can look at other products.
adidas Rugby Headguard
- One of the best items in my list.
- The lightweight design is perfect for long training sessions.
- The product extremely breathable thanks to ventilation on the sides and back part of the scrum cap.
- The loop chin strap keeps the headgear in place.
- They cut the ear sections out for improved communication. Communication is the most important thing in rugby game therefore it’s implemented in this product.
- The lace closure allows for a better fit.
- IRB approved.
High-quality product from the adidas brand. It’s one of the best headgears for rugby.
Gilbert Air Rugby Headguard
- This one has perfect shock absorption thanks to its design.
- It has additional shock absorption at the critical areas. The temple area is bigger compared to other headguards, and you can easily notice that.
- The ventilation is great.
- The fit is pretty adjustable. It will fit most of the heads with no problems.
- The lining is perfect, and it comes with anti-bacterial features!
This headguard is really high quality. It also has high-quality, which makes it perfect for any player. If you are short on the budget, you can prefer this one since it’s a price performance!
How to pick the Best Rugby Scrum Cap?
Rugby scrum caps can be hard to pick for some people. There is one major reason behind this problem. First of all, you need to determine why you are buying the scrum cap at the first place. Each player has different preferences when it comes to scrum caps. Some players use scrum caps for pure protection purpose. Other players might buy scrum caps for different purposes. Protection generally comes in at first place for most of the players. However, if you can make this distinction properly, you can easily find a suitable option for yourself. There are a couple of important things which will help you to pick the most suitable option for your needs. Let’s take a look at these attributes so you can pick yourself a suitable rugby scrum cap.
The material quality can vary a lot. First of all, they make the most of the scrum caps out of nylon or polyester. These are the most basic materials you can find on a scrum cap. These two materials are pretty close to each other therefore it won’t affect the quality. However, the foam pads can vary a lot in quality. You should make sure they make foam paddings of high-quality EVA foam pads or other high-quality materials.
Materials also directly affects the ventilation quality and comfort, which are other important factors when it comes to rugby headgears. I will talk about these later on!
The brand of the scrum cap is important in my opinion. Most of the well-known brands have higher quality products compared to other ones. However, there are some pretty good scrum caps from other brands too. You must do your research well and buy the most suitable scrum cap for yourself!
Gilbert, Adidas, Canterbury are well known brands when it comes to rugby scrum caps. Most of their headgears are great compared to other models. My favorite is gilbert when it comes to rugby scrum caps because they specialize in this particular topic so their products must be better or I’m little biased on this topic! Whatever your choice, you should make sure the scrum cap is suitable for your needs!
The price of the scrum caps can vary a lot. There are a lot of beginner products at twenty dollars range. If you are just looking for basic protection, you can get away with a twenty-dollar product. These products will be enough for flag football or wrestling activities since they don’t have hard impacts like rugby. However, if you are looking for a professional equipment, you should pay over fifty bucks in my opinion.
Gilbert and Canterbury have perfect models above that price range. You can prefer whatever fits your purpose and like.
The ventilation directly affects the player’s performance. If you are constantly playing in hot environments, you should invest in rugby headgear, which allows for proper ventilation. This is also directly corelated to the comfort which also affects the performance!
The comfort of this equipment is highly important. First of all, the headgear should stay in place after contact moments. You don’t want to spend your time correcting the position of the headgear every few seconds. The comfort of the product is also related to the fitting of it. The scrum cap should fit to your head and stay in place during impact moments. You can try out scrum caps in your local store to see if they fit to your head!
If you are concerned about fitting, you can buy scrum caps with lace up closures. They will be suitable for most of the head types since you can adjust the size of the scrum cap.
It’s pretty normal to wear scrum caps for forwards! They will get into most of the troubles during a rugby match. If you constantly get in scrums you should think about getting a scrum cap. Back players also use scrum caps to protect their head from impacts! The game gets more physical every day and you might need something to protect your head!
Effects of Rugby Scrum Caps
The position you play affects your game style. Therefore, you might need different scrum cap. Forwards and backs have different purposes in the game, which affects their needs for scrum caps. Cauliflower ears are mostly common among forward players because it happens mostly during scrums or big tackles. It’s caused by trauma to ear, which can happen any moment of the game, but it mostly happens to forward players. You can get detailed information on cauliflower ears on wiki.
Head injuries also pretty common among rugby players. It can cause permanent brain damage if you do not take preventive measures! Research has shown that 4 out of 1000 rugby player have concussion related injuries. The question is can a scrum cap prevent this and resolve our issues.
Scrum caps are highly effective for preventing cauliflower ears, and they prove this. Most of the rugby headgears have density up to 45kg/m3 and thickness of 10-12 mm to meet world rugby standards! There are many researches out there have proven that headgears can reduce impact force up to 50 percent. I really like canterbury headgears because they provide the most protection from the impacts!
There are plenty of choices you can make. If you know what type of player you are, you can easily find yourself a suitable model. You should know your key attributes and play-style, then you can make your decision based on your attributes. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below!